Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Chilly Chippewa, Check!

Well, I figured, I am a mail carrier, I can handle a bit of snow. By 9am it was still clear so I went.  Turns out the snow held off until almost noon so I only had to head back in it which was not too bad.

I didn't know where I was going so wrote down directions and followed those.  I finally got sight of the high school and guess what?  I get pulled over by Chippewa's finest.  I'm like WTH?  So I asked him what did I do?  My plates were dirty and unreadable.  I said oh, well that is due to me being a mail carrier.  He asked me if I was carrying today.  I said no "thinking" um no it is Sunday but just said no.  He asked if I was working the race. I said no, walking it. "When does it start?"  At 10 (20 minutes...well, now 15).  So he says he wants me to go to the building and get towel and clean it off so he can see if the plates were expired. I said I have paper towel in the car since I have to clean my tail lights off quite often when it is sloppy.  Oh,ok, so I cleaned the plates to prove I was legit and he let me go.

So then of course sign up/check in was WAAAAYYYYY in the back of the building, I had to ask twice where to go.  So by the time I got my stuff the timer was going and I was behind.  But oh well, that is how it is.

So yah, I made it. My time was around 55 minutes, me and two other people came in at the same time, last of course but that is ok.  One kid giving directions to the participants asked if I was last.  I said yes, as usual, but someone has to be last, may as well be me. He says "Well, at least you are doing it."  Yessir, at least I am doing it.

Not bad considering I haven't hardly done any walking etc. most this winter.  So once times are posted that will be my official starting point for 2011.  Now for the photos!

I can see the end!
Bathroom shot. Yes, I made it. Gads am I fat!

The rewards, chili, wheat bread, bagel and water.

On my way home, getting onto the interstate.


I don't know if the photographer took my picture or not. Really, I think the last should be as important as the first since oftentimes the last one is doing it for a loftier purpose than just trying to beat their own time.  Like myself.  I do it for my Dad who died of cancer last year.  So just getting to the finish line is a huge deal!

2 comments:

  1. That is great!! Last is better than not doing it at all!! Love the snow,wish we would get some here in Oregon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whooo Hoooo, I think it is fabulous, and I love your attitude that you were trying, coming in last that is still major. it is your first one. awesome. I am thrilled for you and love your reason for doing it. great job.

    ReplyDelete