Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Living with the Enemy

I didn't tell my husband I joined WW.  But he kept bugging me on where I was going on Tuesday nights and so I finally told him.  That night he offers me a bowl of ice cream.  WTH???  He hasn't offered me any before now.  And he knows I don't like cold stuff in winter.

The other day I was making mashed potatoes.  He says "should you be eating that?"

Sigh. This is why I didn't tell him as he turns into the food police, scale police, and suddenly shovels food my way.

I sorta lost it.  I said this is not a DIET!  This is to get me BACK on track to a more healthy and NORMAL way of eating and living.  I can eat WHATEVER I want, just in healthier portions.

Then I got sorta' nasty and said "Being fat is a bit of a blessing because I can see I am unhealthy! On the other hand you, being thin, you think that despite your diet of ice cream, sugar sodas and teas, cookies, crackers, candy (actually I just boiled it down to "crap") fool yourself into thinking beause you are not fat that you are healthy!!!"

Yes, I said it.  It was a huge light bulb moment for me.  Maybe I am the lucky one.

4 comments:

  1. Yup. Been there. Doing vegan right now. He's supportive, telling me what he's doing for his weight (he's done nothing for 20 years and is obese). However, to do my plan well, I informed him he'd be buying what meats he wanted on the weekends. His ashen face. Ridiculous. But...bear with me. When I talked about my plan, he stuck dark chocolate in my face, and also offered a beer. He isn't skinny like your husband, but I was seeing widowhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so difficult when your spouse doesn't support your efforts to become healthy. And good for you standing up to him like that! My husband is thin as a rail too and eats all the same stuff yours does. He is forever complaining that I don't take care of myself well enough, but he needs to look at him own habits and stop picking on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta come back! LOL...hubby gets redeemed now. Last night he bought home 2 vegan spring rolls to split. Hopefully, he'll take care of himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, I have that skinny mountain dew guzzling, chip munching husband, too.

    At least mine acknowledges the unfairness of it all and recognizes how hard I work at trying to be healthy.

    But I wish he'd take better care of himself.

    ReplyDelete