Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

My Story II

Ok, so after finally convincing husband we needed to get out of the city we started looking for places.  He got a state farm paper and started looking at the real estate ads. I scoured our area as I would have been perfectly content with 20 acres, house, barn to put my horses.  Problem was cost.  Land prices were ridiculous and there was just no way we were going to swing that.

So for three years husband found cheap places and we'd take a weekend and drive to see them.  80 acres, house, barn for $35K.  Yes, I am talking cheap.  Basement was flooded but that is fixable.  I fell in love with one place, the land, but the house wasn't the best.  I still dream of that property it was that nice.  I could envision an organic goat dairy.  Husband wouldn't go for it though.  All he saw was the house.  It was livable and probably better than the one we are in now really.  But he didn't like it.

I was on my last nerve when it came to marriage, kids, job, inlaws when I came home from my job and he met me at the door with with the newspaper and announced he found a brick farm house (I like brick, a lot of the places around us were brick) on 100 acres for $49K.  I thought yah yah, whatever.  He convinced me to call the next day so I did.  Bad news, it was sold.  He said let's go see what we missed.  So I called the realtor again and asked if we could come see it.  Sure, come on up.  So we did.  Drove down a long dusty road, turned into a long overgrown driveway we had to bushwack through.  Turned the corner and there she was...a red brick farm house like I had never seen before.  It was love.  I told the lady next time they have one like this to call us. 

A week later she called and said it was on the market, financing fell through, we had 24 hours to make an offer.  We offered 50K and got it.  My dream of living on a farm of my own was about to come true.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! What a steal!!!! Enjoy living on a farm! I just started following you today as I saw you are now following me!!!

    ReplyDelete