Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Das Bierhaus



We arrived a little early so took a quick tour of the Mabel Tainter Theater and then over to the food co-op where I got a pint of organic milk (grew up on fresh from the cow milk so this is an experiment to see if I still like it), some falafel mix and a dried shredded looking pea soup in the bulk section.  I love pea soup so we'll see how this is.  Good health food stores are so few around us.  I mean this one is 1.5 hours away but it is a nice one and if I am ever in Eau Claire I wouldn't hesitate to make the extra miles to go to this place.  That is one thing I love about college towns!

Anyway, so we made it to the restaurant and it was so worth it! It is just a little place but the food is so good!  They even had live accordian music playing polkas.  I tried the three sausage plate with red cabbage, saurkraut and spaetzel.  It started out with beercheese soup.  Very very good and I have plenty for supper tomorrow!  I ate about half.


Me and my platter

The guys (our youngest son came along too) had the ham loaf with an egg on it, red cabbage and I am not sure what else.  Oh, mashed potatoes.  Here is my hubby diving into his plate. It always kills me when he says he's never had this or that german food.  I mean, he's 100%, what in hell did his mother feed him beside grape jelly sandwiches and tomato soup casseroles?  Could it be he's never had red cabbage before???  He claims not.


What surprises me is he sausages were not the least fatty nor salty like our food is.  Not overly sweet either.  My  penpal made me tiny sugar cookies one Christmas and they were so good but not super sickning sweet like our stuff is!  What is wrong with our food?  Even that ham loaf my guys had was not salty!

Time too look into that a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment